----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Williams" <mj...@bellsouth.net>
To: <drakelist@zerobeat.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Drakelist] Hum in audio

Carey,

I had the same issue with my T4X; it turned out to be the AC-4. As Richard mentioned, use a scope or have a ham with a spectrum scope watch your signal on key down. I installed the Heathkit shop PS kit since it was long overdue anyway.

73,  Mike   W4DL

I suspect this is not the power supply but its always worth checking it. I have two AC-4s with the Heathkit shop kit in them. Both work fine. I suspect that just replacing the caps with some from Hayseed Hamfest would do as well. The Heathkit shop kit replaces all the caps plus the rectifiers and resistors but usually its only the caps that go bad. When I did my AC-4 I removed the unused can caps from the chassis. I suppose some people leave them on for cosmetic purposes but I don't see any sense to that plus the openings in the chassis from the old caps are convenient for wiring. Note that there is a fair amount of ripple on the HV line especially under load. I also found the voltages given in the Heathkit instructions were optimistic.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles