Hello
I posted this last month on the dri-users list in hopes that I was doing
something wrong and would find out how to fix it. I eventually did fix it by
installing a matrox g450, and everything works.  This pretty well rules out
any configuration issues and narrows it down to : radeon 7500 + amd761 + dri
= not good :-(  I did a lot of googling for references to this and found a
reference to a fix in the ac-kernel branch for lockups caused by this
combination, so I patched my 2.4.18 kernel with the ac patches, with no luck.

What happens is when dri is enabled in XF86Config, as soon as X starts the
machine goes dead: monitor, keyboard, even the NIC, all gone.  A posthumous
examination of /var/log/XFree86.0.log shows that everything is loaded
successfully, other than the driver references it is the same as the log
generated with the matrox card, X is happy, it just doesn't seem to know its
dead.

Am I the only one with this problem? My motherboard is an ASUS A7M266 with
Athlon XP 1600+ with recent upgrade to BIOS  (Janaury) This combo worked with
Nvidia TNT2, and now matrox.  I would like to submit a bug report but don't
know how to generate any more useful information than I have given here.

Thanks
--
Greg T Hill