Currently, the performance when streaming video through glTexSubImage2D is
very low.  In my test program and with mplayer, I get approximately 8 fps in
720x576 on my Radeon 7500 with texmem-branch from a couple of weeks ago.
glDrawPixels is equally slow.  I assume glTexSubImage2D is supposed to be
able to process realtime video, since it handles extensions like
EXT_422_pixels (for 4:2:2 Y'CbCr) and EXT_interlace.

Using OpenGL for streaming video is useful for creating nonlinear video
editing applications (I think Apple's Shake use OpenGL), because you will be
able to preview many of the most common effects in realtime.

Is there any work in progress to make texture sub-image uploading faster?
Which changes need to be done?