On Fri, May 03, 2024 at 02:52:38PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> That means that the file will be released - and it means that you have
> violated all the refcounting rules for poll().

I feel like I've been looking at this too long. I think I see another
problem here, but with dmabuf even when epoll is fixed:

dma_buf_poll()
        get_file(dmabuf->file)          /* f_count + 1 */
        dma_buf_poll_add_cb()
                dma_resv_for_each_fence ...
                        dma_fence_add_callback(fence, ..., dma_buf_poll_cb)

dma_buf_poll_cb()
        fput(dmabuf->file);             /* f_count - 1 ... for each fence */

Isn't it possible to call dma_buf_poll_cb() (and therefore fput())
multiple times if there is more than 1 fence? Perhaps I've missed a
place where a single struct dma_resv will only ever signal 1 fence? But
looking through dma_fence_signal_timestamp_locked(), I don't see
anything about resv nor somehow looking into other fence cb_list
contents...

--
Kees Cook