On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 15:08:06 +0400, Kirill Smelkov <kirr at mns.spb.ru> wrote:

> And now after v3.0 is out, I've tested it again, and yes, like it was
> broken on v3.0-rc5, it is (now even more) broken on v3.0 -- after first
> bad io access the system freezes completely:

I looked at this when I first saw it (a couple of weeks ago), and I
couldn't see any obvious reason this patch would cause this particular
problem. I didn't want to revert the patch at that point as I feared it
would cause other subtle problems. Given that you've got a work-around,
it seemed best to just push this off past 3.0.

Given the failing address passed to ioread32, this seems like it's
probably the call to READ_BREADCRUMB -- I915_BREADCRUMB_INDEX is 0x21,
which is an offset in 32-bit units within the hardware status page. If
the status_page.page_addr value was zero, then the computed address
would end up being 0x84.

And, it looks like status_page.page_addr *will* end up being zero as a
result of the patch in question. The patch resets the entire ring
structure contents back to the initial values, which includes smashing
the status_page structure to zero, clearing the value of
status_page.page_addr set in i915_init_phys_hws.

Here's an untested patch which moves the initialization of
status_page.page_addr into intel_render_ring_init_dri. I note that
intel_init_render_ring_buffer *already* has the setting of the
status_page.page_addr value, and so I've removed the setting of
status_page.page_addr from i915_init_phys_hws.

I suspect we could remove the memset from intel_init_render_ring_buffer;
it seems entirely superfluous given the memset in i915_init_phys_hws.