Hey,

* Michael Chang -- Friday 13 May 2011:
> But there's more questions in my mind, made me feel not
> able to proceed any further.. :(

No problem. The reason for inconsistencies in my reports is
simply that I've realized some properties only later. So here's
a new error description, based on ddb503b42960, which is current
HEAD.

On this "Acer Travelmate 5735Z-452G32Mnss" the following happens
since after 2.6.37-rc8, with acpi_osi=Linux:

- the backlight goes dark as soon as KMS takes over early in the
  boot process (the screen contents aren't corrupted, though, and
  under appropriate lighting conditions I can even see the
  (very dark) uncorrupted contents.)

- when I press the "backlight darker" key, the backlight is turned
  on. (No other key does that AFAICS, including "display toggle"
  and "backlight brighter.)

Everything works correctly after that, including backlight adjustment,
BUT:

 - when I close the lid and open it again, the backlight stays black
   again, just like before. Backlight adjustment turns it on, and
   now even the "brighter" key does it sometimes, but not always.)