On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Frank Earl wrote:

> On Saturday 15 September 2001 07:08, you wrote:
>
> > Frank, one more time, I would like to have your work to take a look on it.
> > Perhaps with more eyes looking at the problem we could find something. And
> > if you could release your changes we could test it in another machines and
> > see different behaviours.
> > I think that another good idea is to discuss about what have you find wrong
> > in the ati driver, don't you think so?
>
> Sorry, haven't had much time to package things up (I barely had time to do
> what little I tried this week to get the hang, with all the insanity going
> on)- I'll try tomorrow or monday to get it all back out.
>
> And, yes, I do think so and I was about to do the same...
>
> Digging through the code for the X driver, I find strange things that do not
> match up with what the documentation ATI has handed us (and the draw test
> code I have proves the documentation at least partly correct...).  I find it
> setting bits that have no documentation for them (grey bars in the bit field
> descriptions mean that they're un-used/reserved).  I find it setting bits
> that are documented, but have completely different meanings than what the
> code's comments indicate.  I find it keeping the engine's entire state when
> all it needs do is query it directly (Which is a potential for other
> problems- what if those duplicated state variables are out of sync for any
> reason?).  In short, it almost looks like the driver is a mess.  Right now
> I'm trying to sift through it and the old 3.3.6 server code to see what I can
> do to straighten this out in the short term and what I'd need to do to make
> it more robust in the long term.  We're not likely to get bus-mastering going
> with it in the state it's in.

Frank, sounds like you have the r128 documentation, ja?  Is that something
the rest of us can get our hands on, or do we need to drink the goat's
blood at the temple of XFree86 first?  I'm most interested in working on
the r128 and the rage mobility setup code, and xvideo.  I'm least
interested in working on the mesa code for r128.  I only have access to
rage mobility on a ppc currently.

It seems like there are a lot of efforts out there to get r128 100%
working.  Someone is hacking on DMA transfers for the hardware video
scaler, some other folks are trying to make the video scaler behave, you
are working on the chip setup code, and some other folks are trying to
figure out the setup routines for the seconds head on the rage mobility.
Maybe we need a whole mailing list for r128.

-jwb