>    Another interesting point is that you have your own fork of the
>   XFree tree. This further limits the input into the design by
>   eliminating all the qualified X developers without direct rendering
>   interest from the discussion. They all live/work on the XFree lists
>   and don't watch this list. I know the reason for the separate tree
>   was historical, but that reason hasn't existed for perhaps two
>   years now and still you maintain a different tree.

I disagree.  If anything I would like to become even less dependent on
XFree.  I think one of the things that scares potnetial developers away is
the fact that they have to download megabytes and megabytes of XFree code
and then they have to wade through all that to figure out where they can fix
a driver bug.  If the only thing people had to do to hack around with
drivers was download  150K of driver code and some standard XFree and DRI
headers, compile it and drop in their XFree driver directory I can guarantee
you there would be more developers here.  XFree is a big ugly beast that is
intimidating to potential new developers.  It isn't like the kernel where
there is a drivers, drivers/net, drivers/usb, etc. directory structure.  In
fact, you don't even need to download kernel source to build a kernel module
either.  We should make it simpler, not more complex.  DRI obviously has to
have ties to XFree but more at a design/integration/API level not
necessarily as a shared code base.

>   Solution: Give a little more though toward making the build easy.
>    There has been some great discussion on the Linux kernel mailing
>    list about kernel building for "Aunt Tillie" (sp?). The more
>    effort that can be put into making things "just work" the more eyes
>    you will have on the project. More eyes leads to more developers,
>    more developers leads to more progress. This is something that
>    could benefit the general XFree code too.

I agree.  See above.

David