Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

> Could you give a quick explanation, just for my understanding, of the
> differences between the dualhead Matrox cards (which support the DRI on
> the primary head) and the dualhead Radeon cards (which do not, currently).

DRI requires a hardware cursor.  Matrox does not support a hardware
cursor on the secondary head for the G400 (which was the target when we
wrote dual head support for the driver).  Consequently, that driver was
written to make sure the DRI was never run on the secondary head.  Since
the ATI driver could support DRI on the second head, it's possible that
when dual head support was added, that the entire DRI was disabled for
dual head.

It is likely that you could get the DRI running on the primary head and
disabled on the secondary head quite easily for the Radeon.  This would
be effectively the same mode as the matrox driver supports.

Any more detailed questions on what needs to change in the Radeon would
need to be addressed by the Radeon maintainers.  I recommend starting
with Kevin Martin, but there are others who have been deep into this driver.

Regards,
Jens

--
                                /\