Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:42:35PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
>>Is there any reason why the DRI tree isn't tracking the XFree86 CVS tree
>>more?

Linus,

Think of the DRI trunk as a 3D development branch of XFree86.  For the
8500, we've been focused on developing the 3D driver with full TCL
support.  Other non-3D enhancements have been happening in the main
branch (XFree86).  The 3D enhancements will be merged into the main
development branch of XFree86 before 4.3 goes out.

>>On my Radeon 8500, the DRI tree apparently still doesn't do the Xv
>>extension correctly, even though XFree86 CVS has done it for ages (thanks
>>to Keith for getting the relevant bits off Gatos). So I have to have two
>>different X servers, depending on whether I want to watch DVD's or whether
>>I want to check 3D behaviour.

A word of caution about DRM compatability and Gatos.  I'm not certain
how much of the Gatos functionality Keith P. has integrated into
XFree86, but they have been releasing DRM drivers that are not backwards
compatible with old XFree86 releases.

My understanding of the problem is the Gatos guys need a modified DRM
memory map layout and have not been focused on the compatability issue.
  I'm confident this issue could be resolved if someone interested (and
capable) of understanding the Gatos modifications and the DRI backward
compatability issues were to dig into this issue.  However, to date,
nobody has successfully addressed this issue.

>>(The XFree86 CVS tree also has that funky red-cursor-with-a-shadow thing,
>>which I've not yet decided if I like or dis-like ;)
>

> Because, as i understand it, the developpment cycle of Xfree/DRI is as
> follows :
>
>   o XFree does a new release.
>   o At this point DRI and Xfree are in sync, so DRI development is done
>   in the DRI CVS, based on the lastly released XFree tree.
>   o XFree developpment is done in the XFree CVS.
>   o Sometimes near the end of the XFree development cycle, the two trees
>   are synced by hand once the sync is done in a satisfactory way,

The syncing can and has actually happened more frequently than once per
release.

>   o XFree does a new release, and all begins again.
>
> I think one of the reasons this is so is because the DRI tree is not
> complete, and needs XFree to build and work correctly, and it is easier
> for people building from DRI CVS to have the 4.2.0 tarball installed,
> and build from that.
>
> I guess people will try to merge usefull fixes from the XFree tree to
> the DRI tree if they feel they need them or so, thus making things
> easier for the folk doing the final sync.
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

                                /\
          Jens Owen            /  \/\ _
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /    \ \ \   Steamboat Springs, Colorado