On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 09:42:58AM +0300, Samium Gromoff wrote:
>        There is one hopefully nice idea to help DRI developement.
>  The first and best thing to make a project successful is a good and clean
>  codebase. The second is a comprehensible set of docs in order to attract
>  more developers.

I agree these two points are very important indeed.

I think that the DRI codebase could use a few more comments and has some
redundancies which are very difficult to factor them out due to all the
different driver peculiarities, but besides that is actually very clean
and easy to read considering its size.

Documentation to attract more developers was one of the main reasons why
I compiled and wrote the DRI Developers' FAQ:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/faq/ .

>   Not that i have paid enough time to find anything, but i think that a
>  dia overview diagram of the overall structure/APIs would be extremely nice.
>
>  e.g. how XFree talks to DRM, what DRMs are supposed to provide, DMA issues
>  etc etc
>
>  also examples could be very useful indeed...

There are already some very good diagrams on
http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc and I hope that someday that the DRI
Driver HOWTO, http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/howto/ , will give the
examples you want, but it's still in early stages.

Please feel free to contribute to any of these [in the wide sense]
documentation projects.

Regards,

José Fonseca