On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Leif Delgass wrote:
>
> >> I could do it, but I don't think it's a good idea to restrict those
> >> who are non-members of the list. Cross postings from the xfree86 lists
> >> are sometimes useful.
> >>
> >> Alan.
> >
> >What about dri-patches?  It gets all the same spam that -devel and -users
> >do.  I don't see any reason not to restrict posting to that list to
> >project members.  Of course, there may be people with commit access that
> >aren't subscribed.  Is there a way to restrict it to sourceforge accounts
> >rather than the subscriber list?
>
> Why not just have posts from non-members moderated?  They would
> get held long enough for someone to look at them and go "ah, this
> is not spam", then accept the message for posting.  Of course,
> that would mean a message would get held until a moderator could
> look at it.
>
> I do this on our xfree86-list, and it works well.  I dunno if
> that would be something one of the list maintainers would want to
> do or not though.  Just a suggestion nonetheless.
>
> On the other side of things, spamassassin rocks.  It nails almost
> all of my spam.  A good 93% to date anyway.

I think spam filtering for dri-devel and dri-users would be a good
solution -- IMO, that would be better than moderation.  For dri-patches,
the Reply-To is dri-devel.  I'd rather have just commit messages and
nothing else on dri-patches.  Any comments/replies to specific patches, or
posts dealing with CVS should go to dri-devel anyway.  That's why I
suggested limiting just dri-patches to sourceforge addresses.

--
Leif Delgass
http://www.retinalburn.net