On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Andreas Stenglein wrote:

> I pulled the powercable, waited, plugged the cable,
> startet the box up again and tried without dri:
> Xserver recycles well!

I have apparently seen something like this even on 2.5.x.  What kernels
have you tried?

The symptoms I saw were kernel oopses in totally unrelated pieces of code
when re-starting the X server. The times I was able to reproduce it I
could re-start a non-DRI X server several times (by just specifying
"-depth 8"), but then when I restarted a DRI one it would cause
"impossible" oopses (where "impossible" means that they were in totally
normal code-paths in the kernel that had nothing to do with DRI, and
looked like major internal data-corruption).

I have my kernel DRM modules compiled in, and to me it really looked like
something had free'd the resources on the first X session shutdown, but
then left a pointer around to the free'd resources, so that when the
second DRI session was started it used the long-since-free'd resources and
obviously started corrupting things.

But that's just a wild guess from the behaviour I saw (which was not
entirely reproducible, btw - I recompiled my kernel with slab and spinlock
debugging to try to catch it better, and I wasn't able to make it happen
again). I don't actually have ay such code in DRI that I could really
point to.

In short: non-dri X setups seemed to work well, even with a setup that did
seem to be able to reproduce the problem reliably. So it really looked
like something DRI did.

The first X startup had no problems, which means that this can have been
going on for a long time as far as I'm concerned (I usually don't cycle
out from X: I don't use XDM, and I reboot the kernel more often than I
have reason to exit X ;)

The _second_ DRI-enabled X startup caused problems, even if I had done
multiple non-DRI X sessions in between. This is what makes me think that
the DRI kernel modules keep some history around that they shouldn't.  And
maybe the problem is hidden if you actually unload and re-load the
modules (is that what most people do?)

                        Linus