Jose,

I've been on the road for the last few days, so I haven't had a chance to express my concern for porting the DRI to C++. Please take these concerns with a grain of salt as I am definitely in the old fuddy duddy class (as Keith calls it) in that I'm not fluent in C++.

Concern #1: Acceptance into XFree86, etc. Creating dependencies on C++ compilers could be a big issue for some of the major projects that utilize our code.

Concern #2: As a driver writer, I prefer looking at C and thinking in terms of the machine transactions that are likely to take place based on that code. C++ code tends to hide that level of detail for me and I don't feel like I've got a strong grip on the various machine transactions when using it.

Concern #3: Readability by the active contributors. I'm not the only old fuddy duddy in this group of developers. How much "readability" time do you figure the young C++ whipper snappers will save by investing in this transition to C++?

Thanks for your consideration of these issues and thanks for all your excellent contributions to the DRI project.

--
                               /\
         Jens Owen            /  \/\ _