On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 11:02:10PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 18:12, Philip Brown wrote:
> > All numeric fields passed through the ioctls, should have fixed,
> > identifiable sizes.
>
> I guess you do need a typedef then so you can support solaris without
> trashing the other 99.999% of the userbase.

Well, technically, 99.9% of the userbase will be (linux|*BSD)/x86, so it would
only "trash" a potential 0.099% ;-)

> In the Linux world the
> ioctl32 handlers munge the structures. Different philosophy to
> handling the problem space.

Dont think of it as "trashing", think of it as "an opportunity to get rid
of 'munging'"  :-)

> I believe DaveM's DRM for the sparc64 linux is quite happy with
> mixed 32/64 user space.

Probably it has the same size for "unsigned long" in both 32 and 64 bit
modes.

"It works" is not the same as "it works cleanly".
APIs should be fixed, concrete definitions. The struct definitions in drm.h
are essentially part of the API (or ABI, whatever), and they are not fixed.
They should be cleaned up.