On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:26:03PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> If they have the same name, they must be the same function. It's that
> simple. And if it's the same function and used by multiple different
> drivers, then it MUST NOT have CONFIG_xxx dependencies.

Ok. Thanks for clearing this up.

> This is exactly what was wrong with the old pre-DRM(xxx) code.
>
> So I would suggest:
>
>  - create a new module, called "drm", which holds truly generic functions.
>    It gets linked in only _once_, and drm module users have to load it
>    explicitly (possibly though "modprobe", which knows about module
>    dependencies, but _not_ by doing some kind of "request_module()" crap)
>
>    Sane setups will just link this module directly into the kernel.
>
>    This module does not know (or care) about what DRI drivers there are.
>    It doesn't have a list of supported drivers, and it only has generic
>    infrastructure stuff.
>
>    Quite frankly, looking at the current DRI tree, there's not a lot of
>    code like this there that I can see. Almost every single "library"
>    function has intimate details about the hardware through macro
>    expansion.

By the contrary. Most functions in the drm_*.h templates are likely
candidates. For the major part template costumization consists of "have
DMA", "need AGP", "use SG", ... but if the associated functions go into
a new common module, there is no point to conditionaly enable them -
they are always there, and it's up to the driver to use them or not.

>  - any "library" functions that behave differently for different cards
>    must continue to use a card-specific prefix. So for example, the
>    function DRM(setup)() is clearly _different_ for a Radeon card, since
>    the radeon driver has a different DRIVER_PRESETUP() thing etc. As a
>    result, it must not be called "drm_setup()", since it is clearly
>    "radeon_setup()".
>
> The files I see that look like they could be true DRM library functions
> (without any major surgery, at least) are
>
>  - drm_agpsupport.h
>  - drm_lock.h
>  - drm_memory.h

José Fonseca