I hope this is the right place to report this problem ... if not,
a pointer to the right place would be much appreciated.

Architecture: ia64 (zx2000)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.0-test4
Card: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
X: Debian Experimental 4.3.0-0pre1v1.1

I had X working fine non-accelerated (glxgears was telling me 90 frames
per second), so I concluded I needed to turn on things like DRM.  Compiled
the latest kernel, made the right device nodes, etc.  Here's the relevant
bits from the kernel dmesg:

Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected HP ZX1 AGP chipset (ioc=fed01000, lba=fed20000)
agpgart: HP ZX1 IOC: IOPDIR shared with sba_iommu
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 3923M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 512M @ 0x60000000
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.9.0 20020828 on minor 0
  ... everything else happens, then X starts ...
agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 1x mode
PCI: Found IRQ 50 for device 0000:00:00.0
IOSAPIC: vector 50 -> CPU 0x0000, enabled
[drm:radeon_lock_take] *ERROR* 1 holds heavyweight lock

That's not good.  At this point, I can only see X's beautiful stippled
black & white screen.  I swear I saw the gdm chooser screen flash for
a fraction of a second.  My XFree86.0.log is 40k, so I've put it at
http://people.debian.org/~willy/dri/

  ... then I try to stop X ...
[drm:radeon_lock_take] *ERROR* 1 holds heavyweight lock

and, of course, it won't actually stop.  Suggestions?