On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Jon Smirl wrote:

> I think I have tracked this down to the DRM drivers in the kernel not matching
> the ones in DRI CVS. Some of the structures in the initialization IOCTL have
> changed which caused  one of the ring pointers to initialize to zero instead of
> what it needed.  The minor version number probably should have been bumped.

Hmm.. Even regardless of minor number bumps, this makes me worry that
there is a version skew, which should be fixed.

It's just too painful if new versions of X need a very specific version of
the kernel modules, or if new kernel modules don't work with old versions
of X. In particular, it makes it pointless to have the DRI stuff in the
standard kernel.

The standard kernel thing with the CVS merges has worked really well for
the last year or two, so it would be good to see exactly what the issue
is.

Basically: any kernel code always has to be backwards compatible.
Upgrading a kernel should never break existing installations (there are
some areas where this is less true than otherwise, but that's the general
rule, especially for applications that everyday users use, like X11).

> Can we update 2.6 to match DRI CVS?

I can do a new merge on the assumption that it fixes bugs and adds a few
new features, but I want to make sure that there isn't a "flag day" now
where it wouldn't work with older X versions.

Also, while _I_ personally just care about backwards compatibility for the
kernel (ie I just want to make sure that newer kernels are able to run
older user-land code), DRI generally has tried to make the same be true
the other way too (ie DRI generally works even with older kernels, even if
it means falling back to not doing everything you want to do). So even if
I do the DRI merge, that part has apparently broken.

                Linus