Jon,

This issue of whether or not to use kgi goes all the way back to design decisions we made in 1998. Based on my recollection, I believe these were the top issues:

  1) kgi was Linux specific.  We needed a kernel level module that was
     more portable.

  2) We wanted the bare minimum services in the kernel layer for
     efficient and fast graphics support, and felt as much of the
     driver code as possible should stay in user space.

  3) GPL License.  We needed a BSD style license to allow IHV's the
     option of a closed source driver.

These are the issues I remember from 1998. I'm sure our requirements have evolved since then, but hopefully this short list will give a little insight into our thinking at that time.

Jon Smirl wrote:
Another request is that this work be compared to the kgi work so that we don't
repeat the same mistakes. I wasn't around for that debate, can someone explain
what was learned from attempt?

I'll start reworking the proposal to include the feedback I have so far and get
it ready for the next round. I suspect the next round on the DRI/FB lists will
generate a lot more flames.

The graphic driver issue is heating up because MS Longhorn is focusing on
accelerated graphics as a major feature.

--- Dave Airlie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

why do I get the impression we are discussing kgi or at least the goals of
kgi? without mentioning it ..is kgi a bad word around these parts? :-)

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

===== Jon Smirl [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                               /\
         Jens Owen            /  \/\ _
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /    \ \ \   Steamboat Springs, Colorado