--- Jon Smirl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Michel pointed out that all IOCTL calls hold the big kernel lock.
> Releasing this lock is sure to case problems since the DRM code is not
> designed to be reentrant. I don't know what it will take to fix locking
> to allow this, maybe one of the original DRM authors will pop in here
> with the answer. Until locking is adjusted we can't add the schedule
> call.
>
>From what I'v read, http://lwn.net/Articles/86859/, it's not a global
kernel lock (I.E. it dosen't stop non-locked kernel code from running).
So the only reason it effects audio performace is that well, read the
article :)

Also DRI allready runes with it off in ioctls, every time there is a
sleep.  This is why DRI has spinlocks, right?  Now if we turn BKL off for
our ioctls we defeat the pupose it was turned on for, what is that?  Would
it be posible to use differed execution instead of blindly droping the
BKL?

As for the other DRI-spinlocks the code presented by Ingo Molnar lookes
correct, no arguments here.  I just don't see why DRI needs to drop the
BKL any sooner then any other part of the kernel?  After all DRI dosen't
request it, it's just one of many victums of the ioctl BKL.  So I think it
would be best to let upstream fix the DRI BKL problem.