On Sat, 18 Oct 2008, Eric Anholt wrote:

> > It's not being disloyal to your CEO, really. I'm pretty sure nobody will
> > be fired just for ignoring that whole "640kB^H^H^H^H^H32-bits should be
> > enough for everybody" idiocy.
>
> Writing 3D drivers means running 3D games.  Running 3D games
> unfortunately means running a lot of 32-bit userland as the fun stuff is
> binary-only.

That's not a very good reason, though. We're supposed to be perfectly
binary compatible, so it would actually be *better* if you did the testing
using a 64-bit kernel.

Sure, don't do it on _all_ machines, but running 32-bit user land is
definitely not a valid reason to avoid a 64-bit kernel. Quite the reverse.
We'd like to see more coverage.

                        Linus