Stephane Marchesin wrote:
> 2009/8/31 Thomas Hellström <tho...@shipmail.org>:
>

>>> The problem I see with Xv-API-in-kernel is that of the various hw
>>> constrains on the buffer layout. IMHO this has two solutions:
>>>
>>> a) complicated to communicate the constrains to userspace. This is either
>>> to generic or not suitable for everything.
>>>

>> IIRC Xv exposes this all the way down to the user-app, as format and
>> then offset into buffer + stride for each plane?
>>

> Well, for example if your overlay can only do YUY16 in hardware, you
> still might want to expose YV12/I420 through Xv and do internal
> conversion. So you'd have to add format conversion somewhere in the
> stack (probably in user space though). The same happens for swapped
> components and planar/interlaced; does your hw do YV12, I420, NV12 or
> something else ?

The "hw" does YV12,  YUY2 and UYVY.

Since the user of this interface (the Xorg state tracker) is generic,
there's really no point (for us) to
have driver-specific interfaces that exposes every format that the
hardware can do. The
situation might be different, I guess, for device-specific Xorg drivers.
If we're doing this I think
we should expose perhaps a reasonable small number of common formats,
and if the hardware doesn't support any
of them, the hardware is not going to be supported.

That might unfortunately lead to having driver-specific interfaces for
the device-specific Xorg driver and a
generic interface for the Xorg state tracker, and I'm not sure people
like that idea?

/Thomas