Great News,

Stuart, that is pretty easy, we should definitely get that into the
next release.  It would be great if we could just pass the javax
properties straight through the dspace.cfg so that theres greater
configurability overall.

Mark

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 9:43 AM, gathub<thermalfluids...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I finally got it working. I had to modify the Email.java file like you said,
> by adding the following:
>
> To the top:
>  import java.security.DigestInputStream;
>  import java.security.MessageDigest;
>  import java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException;
>  import java.security.Provider;
>  import java.security.Security;
>
> Before "Properties props" declaration:
>  Security.addProvider(new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider());
>
> After SMTP authentication block:
>  props.put("mail.smtp.socketFactory.port", "465");
>
> props.put("mail.smtp.socketFactory.class","javax.net.ssl.SSLSocketFactory");
>  props.put("mail.smtp.socketFactory.fallback", "false");
>
> It works fine now, and I am not worrying about the TLS on my own server.
> Thanks for all your help!!
>

> gathub wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I will give that a shot. Do you know why the mail server on our own
>> server is not working though? It says something about enabling STARTTLS,
>> but I'm not sure how I would do that in Tomcat.
>>

>> Stuart Lewis wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You'll need to change the code slightly (org.dspace.core.Email) to allow
>>> it to connect securely to google's mail servers. A web search will
>>> probably come up with some working solutions (e.g.
>>> http://www.coderanch.com/t/274207/Other-JSE-JEE-APIs/java/Sending-Email-
>>> using-Java-mail)
>>>
>>> If you come up with a generic solution, please consider submitting it as
>>> a patch on JIRA (http://jira.dspace.org/)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> Stuart Lewis
>>> Digital Services Programmer
>>> Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library
>>> Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
>>> Ph: 64 9 373-7599 x81928
>>> http://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/

>>> mail.server, and "465" as the port. Here is the error I was originally