All,

Just thought I'd bring this up while it's fresh in my mind.  A few of us
in DuraSpace got into a license header discussion, and it made me
re-discover our current DSpace license header situation.

Most of our codebase still uses the policy of including the entire
license as a header in a source file.  For example:
http://scm.dspace.org/svn/repo/dspace/trunk/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/core/Context.java

However, I've noticed that several of our newer projects (including 2.0
work) use a shortened license header (which links off to a full license
available elsewhere).  For example, in dspace-services we see:
http://scm.dspace.org/svn/repo/modules/dspace-services/trunk/api/src/main/java/org/dspace/kernel/DSpaceKernel.java

In a quick comparison across the DuraSpace projects, we realized that
Fedora uses a much small (less likely to change) comment at the top of
its code.  Here's Fedora's standard header:

/*
  * The contents of this file are subject to the license and copyright
  * terms detailed in the license directory at the root of the source
  * tree (also available online at http://fedora-commons.org/license/).
  */

That sort of small header is nice as it requires less frequent
modifications.  You'll notice it doesn't even contain the copyright
statement, which tends to include changing years, and sometimes even a
changing organization name -- e.g. much of our java code still says
"Copyright DSpace Foundation", when it should now obviously say "DuraSpace".

To this end, DuraSpace would like to recommend changing to a shorter,
standard license header at the top of each source code file.  We mocked
up a "standard" DuraSpace license header to be:

/*
  * The contents of this file are subject to the license and copyright
  * detailed in the LICENSE and NOTICE files at the root of the source
  * tree and available online at
  *
  *     http://<project>.org/license/
  */

(NOTE: None of our DSpace licensing or copyright info is changing,
obviously. We're just trying to standardize our headers a bit better,
and cleanup old out-of-date headers in our codebase.)

Should we (DSpace developers) approve this idea, this would mean three
things for DSpace:
(1) We would slowly work to replace our existing license headers with
this new standard license header.  (Or, if possible, do a giant bulk
replace of our existing headers for the 1.7.0 release)
(2) We would move our current DSpace LICENSE file to our root of our
source tree, and add a corresponding NOTICE file which details the
latest DSpace copyright info  (and update Maven references as needed)
(3) I would work to get our DSpace license & copyright info also
displayed publicly at 'http://dspace.org/license/' (as that URL
currently doesn't exist)

Again -- this is just a recommendation we are putting forward for
comments/suggestions.

I'll also add this as a discussion topic for our next Developers Meeting
(Weds, June 16 at 20:00UTC in #duraspace IRC).  So, if you will be able
to attend that meeting, you are welcome to hold your comments until then.

In the meantime, feel free to comment on this idea in this thread on
dspace-devel, or send me an email with your thoughts.

Thanks all!

- Tim

--
Tim Donohue