Hi Stuart & all,

On 10/4/2010 2:54 PM, Stuart Lewis wrote:

> On 5/10/2010, at 6:29 AM, Mark Diggory wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 12:20 PM,<nore...@scm.dspace.org>  wrote:
>> Author: stuartlewis
>>
>>    dspace/trunk/dspace/docs/confluence/jspui.txt
>>    dspace/trunk/dspace/docs/docbook/jspui.xml
>>    dspace/trunk/dspace/docs/html/ch06.html
>>

>> Note, we definitly want to not be updating the existing docs in the svn and
>> instead placing update in the confluence wiki, these
>> dspace/trunk/dspace/docs files should be removed.
>
> Where in the wiki should these go, and how do we manage the versioning
> aspect: I can't add these updates yet, as they apply to an un-released
> version of the software.

(Copying in Jeff Trimble & Peter Dietz, to make sure they are following
this thread)

Documentation changes for 1.7.0 should go on the wiki here:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/DSpace+Documentation

(This area is unadvertised to the general public, and is officially for
upcoming 1.7.0 release.)

As of 1.7.0, the [dspace-src]/dspace/docs/ folder should likely become
obsolete, unless we wanted to archive a static version of the
wiki-generated docs there.

As for future versioning -- we really need to formalize this based on
what we all feel is best.  One possible option may be as follows:

(1) "DSDOC" space
(https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC/DSpace+Documentation) -- this
would be the place were we are *always* working on the latest & greatest
documentation.  It could also act as a "splash page" to find all past
DSpace release documentation.  So, currently this is working towards
1.7.0 documentation.  We should also be working to "clean up" the front
page and all sub-pages to our liking for 1.7  (It may still need quite a
bit of work.)

(2) When 1.7.0 is released, we can export an HTML or PDF version of that
documentation directly from the "DSDOC" area.  We could even put this
into SVN if we wished, or just make it downloadable alongside the release.

(3) After 1.7, and once we are ready to start docs for a 1.8.0 release,
we'll copy the "DSDOC" space into a "DSDOC1.7" wiki space as an archive
(and as necessary to support any future 1.7.x releases), and the "DSDOC"
area would move towards 1.8.0 docs.  At this point, there may be some
double wiki changes required if a single Documentation change needs
fixing in both 1.7.x and the 1.8.x documentation (since they will sit
separately in the Wiki).

(4) Eventually (i.e. years from now) in order to avoid keeping around
tons of old wiki spaces (e.g. DSDOC1.7, DSDOC1.8, DSDOC1.9, DSDOC2.0,
etc) for really old documentation, we'll want to clean up old "archived"
wiki documentation.  So, once a space becomes "dormant" or "static", we
can just archive a final version to HTML/PDF and post that static
version up on the DSpace website.  Then we can remove that old, dormant
wiki space altogether.

This is just one possible idea for how to handle things.  So, if there
are other thoughts on upcoming management of Wiki Documentation after
1.7, we can definitely add that to an upcoming meeting agenda as needed.

Thoughts/ideas welcome,

- Tim