Hi all,

In trying to figure out a way to get the AIP Backup & Restore to be able
to restore Bitstream ordering, I came across an oddity with the
'bitstream_order' initialization.

I've noticed that 'bitstream_order' is *ALWAYS* initialized to -1 for
newly created Bitstreams.

The reason is that 'Bundle.addBitstream()' tries to initialize
'bitstream_order=sequence_id'. Unfortunately though, the "sequence_id"
value for a new bitstream is not set until the Item.update() call occurs.

This essentially means that Bitstreams are effectively "unordered" until
someone goes to the "Edit Item" screen and reorders them.

Is this expected behavior?  It seems odd to me, as I had expected
Bitstreams to be ordered immediately by default (in the order you
initially uploaded them). But maybe I misunderstood this feature?

I've described these issues more in this ticket (see the comments
especially):
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1122

- Tim

--