Hi developers / tech folks,

I know we haven't really even begun to fully utilize GitHub "Pull
Requests" (http://help.github.com/send-pull-requests) for DSpace.

But, I found this recent GitHub blog post extremely interesting:
https://github.com/blog/1124-how-we-use-pull-requests-to-build-github

In it, they describe how GitHub developers themselves actually use "Pull
Requests" as a *starting* point for discussion/feedback. So, the Pull
Request is actually started while the code or design is still in
progress (so you can get ongoing feedback from others as you add new
commits/features/etc.).

If we thought about that sort of Pull Request approach for DSpace,
ideally, any code any of us wrote that we wanted to have "accepted"
would *begin* with a Pull Request. These Pull Requests would stay open
for longer periods of time (as the code was designed/worked on) and
others could monitor them and comment on the work as it evolves. It also
provides a way for a more "open" development process, as individuals can
just monitor the central "DSpace/DSpace" Pull Request queue, rather than
attempting to monitor/follow everyone's individual "forked" codebases.

Mark Diggory & I were just bouncing this around in a side conversation,
and thought it may be an interesting model. But, obviously, we wanted to
see what others thought about this different development approach.

- Tim

--
Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace Project