Hi Tim,

On 13 November 2013 14:53, Tim Donohue <tdono...@duraspace.org> wrote:

> My main point here is that we need to find something that is still
> *achievable* for 4.0.
>

> Brainstorming a longer term resolution (which you see to be), is also a
> great exercise.

My main point is actually to highlight what may well be false assumptions
in what exists in DSpace, in order to frame our decisions correctly.

> But it's not realistic in terms of fixing/improving the REST API in time
> for 4.0 (unless we were to delay 4.0, which I don't think anyone wants to
> do). It's great for figuring out what we may want to change in 5.0, however.
>
> So, I agree with your points. We aren't doing a 100% perfect job of
> persistent IDs anyhow, and a lot is reliant on the DSpace installation (and
> whether they've purchased a handle prefix or not).
>
> But, based on what we have in place currently, I don't see any other short
> term fix for 4.0 other than to allow the REST API to work with
> [prefix]/[suffix] (even if we cannot guarantee that the [prefix] is a
> unique registered prefix).

I tend to agree - the 'handle' is the only identifier that we make clearly
and consistently available, and as such will have to be used in the current
scenario.

I think we should start taking steps to signal a future intention here
though - i.e. document clearly the implications of using an unregistered a
prefix, recommend strongly that a prefix is registered, and that in a
future version (maybe the following release?) we will look to make having a
handle prefix entirely optional, transferring primary identification to a
local, "non-persistent" identifier.

Looking ahead, we also have to bite the bullet that any local id - unless
we go entirely for UUIDs (ugly) - will likely be an auto-incrementing
sequence, and deal with it accordingly. For the purposes of straightforward
backup / restore, this should not be a problem. Obviously, if we move a
package from one instance to another, then we may have to assign those IDs,
but in general I don't see that as a problem - and if it is, that's what
you use externally registered persistent identifiers for!

I'm not expecting us to make a decision on that right now, I'm just stating
it for the record and so that we can start thinking about it in the
background.