I believe some of the service providers that maintain a number of DSpace
instances have looked into this.

And it would make sense for our demo server, for us to deploy new versions
as it is developed. That may be true for you if you are doing lots of
active development.

It's also quite nice to be able to deploy to a staging server, and once
checking that, be able to trust that a live deployment would be successful.

However, setting up automation can be a very expensive and frustrating
process. Others that have done it, might have more to say, but my feeling
is that it's not really worth it unless you have to do a lot of repeatable
deployments.

>From the sounds of it, in your position I would wonder why I'm having to
set up so many damn boxes :)