Hi all,
I have found this well documented git workflow adopted by another open
source project
http://www.net-snmp.org/wiki/index.php/Git_Workflow

essentially it looks as we are managing in an inefficient way the bug
fixing of old release (i.e. 3.x, 1.8).
They merge bug fix on the old release maintenance branch where the bug
is present and merge upward (1.8.x -> 3.x -> 4.x -> master), instead it
looks as we are essentially recommending to work always on the master.
Andrea

--
Andrea Bollini
Dipartimento Servizi e Soluzioni per l'Amministrazione Universitaria

Via dei Tizii, 6
00185 Roma, Italy
tel. +39 06 44 486 087 - mob. +39 348 82 77 525
http://www.cineca.it