+1
  Pascal

From: Tim Donohue [mailto:tdono...@duraspace.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2015 4:48 PM
To: Dspace-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Dspace-devel] PLEASE VOTE on whether to include "Services API"
refactoring in DSpace 6.0

Hi Developers / Committers,

As mentioned in yesterday's developers meeting, I'm calling a public VOTE
around whether we include the Services API refactoring in the upcoming DSpace
6.0 release.  As this change constitutes a major code refactor of the
"dspace-api" (DSpace Java API), we'd appreciate feedback from anyone on this
direction for 6.0.  (If you have not yet read about the Services API
refactoring, a brief summary and links to more information is provided at the
end of this email)

Please VOTE with one of these three options:
+1 = "I agree. We should include Services API refactoring in 6.0"
 0  = "I'm undecided / unsure" (Please provide a reason)
-1  = "I disagree. The Services API refactoring should NOT be included in 6.0"
(Please provide a reason why you disagree)
Per our Voting Procedures [1], a vote on code modifications requires: "at least
three positive (+1) votes, and no negative votes (-1) to pass. In this
scenario, a negative vote constitutes a 'veto'."  While anyone is welcome to
vote, only Committers have "binding" votes (and can cast a veto).  Others are
free to vote to express your opinion, but those votes are considered advisory
in nature.

This public vote will be open until 15:00 UTC (11:00am EDT) on Wednesday,
August 12 (which is the time of our next Developer Meeting).

If there are any questions, feel free to ask them on this thread.

Summary of Services API refactoring

The Services API refactoring is a major refactoring of the "dspace-api"
(DSpace's Java API) to better support "separation of
concerns/responsibilities". Simply put, often, in the existing API, there is an
intermingling of business logic and database logic which is difficult to
maintain, debug and/or build against. One of the most obvious examples is how
we deal with database software support (PostgreSQL vs. Oracle), but such
intermingling of logic exists in many of our core classes. The DSpace "Services
API" attempts to tease apart the database logic from the business logic into
separate layers, while also adding support for Hibernate
(http://hibernate.org).  The goal is to provide an easier to maintain, more
modular API, while also enhancing how we deal with database logic in general
(via Hibernate).

Much more information with documentation, tutorials/examples, and a video
presentation at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Service+based+api

What does adding this refactor to 6.0 mean?

  *   This is essentially a *new* Java API for DSpace.  But, it performs a very
important refactor (see "Pros" below).
  *   It is not backwards compatible with the existing API.  All developers and
Committers who work with the Java API will need to learn this new API, as all
future development will require using this Java API.

     *   Committers will be expected to learn, use and support this API
immediately.  @mire will be providing additional training materials / examples
to help everyone get up to speed.
     *   We also will need immediate help from Committers (or other volunteers)
to refactor and test all other modules within DSpace.  Currently, only the
XMLUI has been refactored to support this new API. All other modules (JSPUI,
OAI, REST, RDF, SWORD, etc) will need similar refactoring as soon as possible.

  *   If this refactor is voted in, Committers will immediately do the
following:

     *   The "master" branch will be temporarily frozen. We'll ask for no new
changes until this API can be merged (PRs can still be created, but we will
refrain from merging them)
     *   We'll start a new (temporary) feature branch (under DSpace/DSpace)
based of latest "master" and merge the existing Services API code there.
     *   We'll then rapidly work together to refactor and test all other
modules based on the new API. (If we work as a team, the goal would be for this
process to only take a few weeks)
     *   Once everything is refactored against this API and passes our Unit
Tests, the Services API code will be merged into "master". At this point,
"master" will be unfrozen, and we can again merge in PRs for the 6.0 release.
PROS to adding to 6.0:

  *   It modularizes our primary API in a way that makes it much easier to
achieve future goals on our Roadmap [2] (especially, moving us towards
potentially better support of third-party modules)
  *   It cleans up one of the "messiest" areas of our existing API, the
Database management / hardcoded Oracle and PostgreSQL queries, in favor of
using Hibernate.  This allows us the potential to support additional database
platforms in the future (e.g. MySQL or similar). It decreases the likelihood of
Oracle-specific bugs (which have always been a problem), as the Oracle queries
are delegated to Hibernate. It also simplifies the process of testing for
database-specific problems in general (as again, all queries are delegated to
Hibernate).
  *   It begins teasing apart a true "business logic layer" in the API (see the
"service layer" of this new API)
  *   The API itself will not affect the fresh installation or upgrade process
of DSpace 6.0, provided that you have not made local changes that rely on the
existing Java API (dspace-api). If you have made such local changes, the
refactor process should not be difficult, but it will be necessary before you
can successfully upgrade to 6.0.

CONS:

  *   It is not backwards compatible with the existing Java API.  Again, anyone
who has made customizations that rely on the Java API (dspace-api) may need to
refactor their local customization. But, we believe that vast majority of
institutions (likely 90% or more) should not experience any upgrade
difficulties, as most only make customizations to the theme / look and feel of
either the XMLUI or JSPUI.
  *   As it is not backwards compatible, this does mean that existing PRs (Pull
Requests) reliant on the Java API may need refactoring/rebasing.  Unfortunately
there's no easy way around this, but examples already exist in the
documentation (see wiki page linked above) showing how to perform common tasks
via the new API.
  *   As this is a major change, it could affect our 6.0 timelines unless we
can work together to quickly get this change merged and tested.  The quicker
the merge process occurs, the more rapidly we can stabilize everything (and
refactor existing PRs as needed).

[1] https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Developer+Voting+Procedures
[2] https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/RoadMap

--

Tim Donohue

Technical Lead for DSpace & DSpaceDirect

DuraSpace.org | DSpace.org | DSpaceDirect.org