Jason,

You can get at ORE in DSpace 1.6 OAI-PMH and higher through the
Harvester work done by TAMU. This will get yout he bitstreams.

http://www.dspace.org/1_6_0Documentation/ch05.html#N14A30

Finally, we have a development project going for a REST interface for
DSpace that would support interaction between DSpace and other 3rd
party systems.

See details at the current GSoC students website:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/GSOC10+-+DSpace+REST+API

Cheers,
Mark

Mark R. Diggory