All,

This mostly affects the DSpace developers out there (who should already
be aware of this change via discussions on the dspace-devel listserv).
But I wanted to be sure to send a notification to all DSpace mailing lists.

As of late April, the primary DSpace codebase has migrated to GitHub:
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace
All future DSpace development will take place on GitHub.

After holding a public vote (on dspace-devel) in February/March, the
DSpace Committers and Developers unanimously voted to migrate our
codebase from Subversion (SVN) to GitHub. We all feel that GitHub will
provide us with ways to more easily take advantage of community-wide
customizations / enhancements / bug fixes. It should also allow
individual institutions to more easily share code/customizations amongst
themselves.

All past DSpace releases (1.0 through 1.8.2) have been migrated to
GitHub as well: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/tags

The old Subversion code repository is still available as a READ-ONLY
historical archive. No more changes/commits will be made to this SVN
codebase in the future.

SVN archive: https://svn.duraspace.org/dspace/  (Note: this is the new
location of http://scm.dspace.org/ and all old SVN URLs should now
redirect here.)

If your institution still prefers to use Subversion (SVN) locally, there
are ways you can continue to use SVN instead of using Git/GitHub:
* GitHub does have some basic SVN client support:
https://github.com/blog/966-improved-subversion-client-support (This
allows you to checkout code stored in GitHub via SVN calls)
* Or, you could obviously download the zipped up DSpace release packages
(from SourceForge or GitHub) and import them into your institution's
local Subversion repository.

Finally, we are still working to update our Wiki pages & Documentation
to reflect that GitHub is now the primary codebase (if you'd like to
help, please feel free to chip in or get in touch via dspace-devel).

There are a few key pages that everyone should be aware of, especially
for those new to GitHub:
* We are working on some Git/GitHub Development Best Practices at:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Development+with+Git  This
page is also a good resource for those who wish to learn Git or GitHub.
* Our "Developer Guidelines & Tools" page is also receiving updates
based on GitHub:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Developer+Guidelines+and+Tools

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us!

- Tim

--
Tim Donohue
Technical Lead for DSpace Project