I wasn't going to push this patch earlier as it rather evolved into a
feature enhancement - but thinking about it again, for anyone that has
non-English content/authors in their repository, it's actually a useful
bug fix:

[ 1672065 ] Configurable sort order generation for browse
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1672065&group_id=19984&atid=319984

If you look at the example Shawna has (it's either on this page, or the
next):
https://dspace.ucalgary.ca/browse-author?top=Austad%2C+Michele+L

The author Žekulin appears in the middle of the list of authors
beginning with 'A'. It may not be possible to define a single correct
ordering, but in this case the existing behaviour just doesn't work for
anyone.

Amongst it's other capabilities, the above patch deals with this
scenario, and lets people customise the ordering further if they choose.

Whilst it allows for configuration, it does not require any
configuration changes (closely emulating the existing DSpace behaviour -
except for the addition of the character decomposition for the above
case). It also doesn't change any existing APIs, or the database schema.

The single biggest argument against it's inclusion would be that it adds
an additional dependency: ICU4J. Unfortunate, but required for
compatibility with earlier JDK releases, without resorting to
undocumented Sun classes.

The choice, as they say, is yours... ;-)

Graham Triggs
Technical Architect
Open Repository

Tel:   +44 (0)20 7631 9942