On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 09:37 -0500, Hulbert, Linda A. wrote:
> The University has begun a project to implement dspace using Oracle. I
> have heard differing levels of success (mostly not) using Oracle.
> While I am not an IT person, I will be passing any comments on to our
> IT and web services colleagues. Ha anyone out there successfully
> launched dspace using Oracle?

Hi Linda,

Yes, we are running a number of installations against an Oracle
database. Currently these are all based off of version 1.3.2 of DSpace
- although as I wasn't personally involved in their setup, I can't
comment to what extent we had to alter the code (I do know that there
are a number of changes related to our specific requirements, that
wouldn't affect others).

Unfortunately, the current 1.4.1 release does not support Oracle
properly, but the good news is that a number of fixes have been
accepted into the code that will be released fairly soon as 1.4.2.
There is still testing taking place on this code, but so far I am not
aware of any Oracle related problems with the upcoming release, and it
*should* just install and run successfully.

Graham Triggs
Technical Architect
Open Repository

Tel:   +44 (0)20 7631 9942
Skype: grahamtriggs

This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the
original intended recipient. BioMed Central Limited does not accept liability
for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly
made on behalf of BioMed Central Limited. No contracts may be concluded on
behalf of BioMed Central Limited by means of e-mail communication. BioMed
Central Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 3680030
Registered Office Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4LB