Hi Karen,

The Unix script won't work (it might be OK under Cygwin) - you can
convert to dos, but if the logged in session is exited, the console app
*will* be closed and the handle server shutdown.

The best way to run the handle server under Windows is to install it as
a service. There isn't anything provided 'out of the box' to do this,
but it's actually quite easy to achieve with the Java Service Wrapper

<http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/introduction.html>

You should download this and install it somewhere on your server. Then
create a configuration file for it - I've attached a template for you to
get started. You will need to replace the @@....@@ sections with
appropriate values at least.

IMPORTANT: This is used to start the wrapper, and won't have access to
the dspace.cfg at this point, so you MUST define the full correct path
names explicitly.

Then, from the wrapper's bin directory, run:

wrapper -i path.to.configuration.file

to install the service.

As it stands, the template will set the service to automatically start
with windows. You can manually start / stop it by running 'net start' or
'net stop'  with the value defined for wrapper.ntservice.name - ie:

net stop handleServerDSPACE

(given the name in the template configuration file).

Or, you can control the service from the services control panel.

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 15:23 +0200, karen janssens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed DSpace on my personal computer (running windowsXP) in order to
> explore its possibilities as part of an assignment for my Library and
> Information Science study.
> I really would like to install the Handle Server as well, but ran into
> problems when trying to actually start the server.
> When executing the command 'start-handle-server', i get the message "
> The name specified is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file."
>
> I tried already to convert the unix-commands into dos-commands (but have
> problems with the nohup).
>
> Also I tried to follow the instructions on handle.net (they give windows/dos
> commands), but then I encouter the error:
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.dspace.handle.HandlePlugin
>
> Does anyone have an idea what could be the best way to make Handle run in
> DSpace and under Windows?
>
> Thanks very much!!
>
> Karen

#********************************************************************
# Wrapper Properties
#********************************************************************

# Give app 5 minutes to startup
wrapper.startup.timeout=300

# This is a hack - it can't run the lock file as a command, but it will remove
it after 5 seconds ;-)
wrapper.commandfile=@@dspace.dir@@\handle-server\txns\lock

# Java Application
wrapper.java.command=@@path.to.java.exe@@

# Java Main class.  This class must implement the WrapperListener interface
#  or guarantee that the WrapperManager class is initialized.  Helper
#  classes are provided to do this for you.  See the Integration section
#  of the documentation for details.
wrapper.java.mainclass=org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp

# Java Classpath (include wrapper.jar)  Add class path elements as
#  needed starting from 1
wrapper.java.classpath.1=@@path.to.wrapper.jar - this is where you installed
the wrapper service@@
wrapper.java.classpath.2=@@dspace.dir@@\config
wrapper.java.classpath.3=@@dspace.dir@@\lib\*.jar

# Java Library Path (location of Wrapper.DLL or libwrapper.so)
wrapper.java.library.path.1=@@path.to.the.lib.directory.within.the.wrapper.installation@@

# Java Additional Parameters
wrapper.java.additional.1=-Dlog4j.configuration=log4j-handle-plugin.properties

# Initial Java Heap Size (in MB)
#wrapper.java.initmemory=3

# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
wrapper.java.maxmemory=256

# Application parameters.  Add parameters as needed starting from 1
wrapper.app.parameter.1=net.handle.server.Main
wrapper.app.parameter.2=@@dspace.dir@@\handle-server

wrapper.working.dir=@@dspace.dir@@\bin

#********************************************************************
# Wrapper Logging Properties
#********************************************************************
# Format of output for the console.  (See docs for formats)
wrapper.console.format=PM

# Log Level for console output.  (See docs for log levels)
wrapper.console.loglevel=INFO

# Log file to use for wrapper output logging.
wrapper.logfile=@@dspace.dir@@\logs\wrapper.log

# Format of output for the log file.  (See docs for formats)
wrapper.logfile.format=LPTM

# Log Level for log file output.  (See docs for log levels)
wrapper.logfile.loglevel=INFO

# Maximum size that the log file will be allowed to grow to before
#  the log is rolled. Size is specified in bytes.  The default value
#  of 0, disables log rolling.  May abbreviate with the 'k' (kb) or
#  'm' (mb) suffix.  For example: 10m = 10 megabytes.
wrapper.logfile.maxsize=5m

# Maximum number of rolled log files which will be allowed before old
#  files are deleted.  The default value of 0 implies no limit.
wrapper.logfile.maxfiles=1

wrapper.logfile.rollmode=SIZE

# Log Level for sys/event log output.  (See docs for log levels)
wrapper.syslog.loglevel=NONE

#********************************************************************
# Wrapper Windows Properties
#********************************************************************
# Title to use when running as a console
wrapper.console.title=handleServerDEMO

#********************************************************************
# Wrapper Windows NT/2000/XP Service Properties
#********************************************************************
# WARNING - Do not modify any of these properties when an application
#  using this configuration file has been installed as a service.
#  Please uninstall the service before modifying this section.  The
#  service can then be reinstalled.

# Name of the service
wrapper.ntservice.name=handleServerDSPACE

# Display name of the service
wrapper.ntservice.displayname=Handle Server DSpace

# Description of the service
wrapper.ntservice.description=Handle Server DSpace

# Service dependencies.  Add dependencies as needed starting from 1
wrapper.ntservice.dependency.1=

# Mode in which the service is installed.  AUTO_START or DEMAND_START
wrapper.ntservice.starttype=AUTO_START

# Allow the service to interact with the desktop.
wrapper.ntservice.interactive=false

# Define these if you need it to log in as a specific user account (ie. for
accessing network shares)
#wrapper.ntservice.account=
#wrapper.ntservice.password=