MacKenzie

It was not my intention to create a "vendor tone" around DSpace;
for what its worth I have had (and seen others having) similar
kinds of discussions around other OSS on other mailing lists ...
with no "adverse reactions".

My intention was not to try and highlight any shortcomings or cast
any aspersions on the usability of DSpace; rather, I was trying to
see where it could or might not meet our specific needs. We do
have a preference to use an OSS solution - and one of the great
aspects of the OSS development model is that there is often are
choices;  with each one having its own pros or cons.

I have already learnt a lot on this thread to help me with that
choice.

I also wish you well in your endeavours to continue with DSpace
development - as you say, there have been inputs from the members
of the DSpace technical community ... but don't forget to hear the
occasional voices of the less technical as well!

Derek

>>> MacKenzie Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2007/06/04 03:30 PM >>>

Dear Derek, Richard, et al.

I am occasionally amazed at the degree to which DSpace,
after 5 years as an open source software project, is still talked
about as if it were a vendor product... of course it has
limitations...
all software does, especially when it's five years old and
actually getting used. But in this the outcome is in *your* hands.

Based on its cumulative experience, last year some members
of the DSpace technical community produced an architecture
for needed improvements to the system:
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/ArchReviewReport

Michele Kimpton, the new Executive Director of the DSpace
Foundation, is now at work on how we can collectively move
that forward. We need to figure out the funding model to get
this work done, but I'm pretty confident it will happen... there
are too many organizations depending on DSpace now to let
it age out of existence, mine included.

And there's always that data export exit strategy if it does --
one of the original requirements of the system that acknowledges
how short the life span of software is these days, and how little
we still know about the "right" way to build these systems.

Cheers,

MacKenzie
MIT Libraries

Derek Hohls wrote:
> Richard
>
> Thanks for sharing those ideas and thoughts.
>
> I looked at the Nuxeo site, and also read through the technical
> comparison
> by Richard Wyles - very interesting.  I also looked the Fedora case
> study
> implementation by Richard Green  [sidebar - there do seem to be lots
of

> Richards here... is it just a coincidence that my middle name is -
> Richard!]
>
> In summary, I have gathered that:
>
> * DSpace is less technically capable, does not scale as well, does
not
> handle complex objects or variety of objects, or mass-uploading of
> data,
> but has an easy and simple front-end for users and administrators.
> There
> is also a wealth of start-up material and a good community.
>
> * Fedora is more technically capable, scales well (within our likely
> limits
> at least), seems to handle complex objects with a variety of data
types
> - MIME-
> based.  There is no front-end that works on the web; and the Java
> interface
> that is supplied looks absolutely barebones at best.  The concepts
and
> ideas
> of Fedora also seem quite complex and are not clearly explained in
the
> starting
> documentation.  User docs and tutorials seem minimal.  Community
> support
> is unknown.
>
> Richard Green's case  study says:
> "Fedora 'out of the box' was a software tool with an associated very
> steep learning
> curve and a user had to rely heavily on documentation available on
the
> Fedora
> website... we came to realise that the documentation appeared to
lack
> some
> crucial elements and that, for a first time user, it was sometimes
not
> easy to follow."
>
> * Nuxeo might be promising; it has lots of flash but the
capabilities

http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php//EndUserFaq#Can_I_export_my_digital_material_out_of_DSpace.3F

> [...]
>> whether or not DSpace is the tool to use.  In particular, some of
>>
> the
>
>> worrying limits I have seen so far are ...
>>

> [snip]
>
> I have been using DSpace for over a year now -- 1.3.x and 1.4.x --
on
> Solaris 10 with Sun's Java System Web Server (6.1 and 7.0). I use
> DSpace for Indica et Buddhica - Repositorium: a digital archive
> designed to capture, store, index, preserve, and distribute
materials
> pertinent to Indology and South Asian Buddhology. While the aim is
> build an archive that enables Indologists and Buddhologists to
> catalogue and store a variety of materials -- articles, books,
images,
> theses, software, working papers and so on -- the main concern at
> present is to lay the foundation by filling the archive with
relevant
> bibliographical records. This is underway and almost 25,000 records
> are
> available already, the same number again should be loaded within the
> next few weeks. More details here:
>
> http://indica-et-buddhica.org/sections/repositorium-preview
>
> You are at the critical stage of selecting and assessing an archival
> platform so I will try to address your concerns candidly.
>
> I am currently using DSpace only as -- for me -- there is presently
no
> suitable alternative. While I was impressed by proven scalability of
> Fedora, the lack of a decent Java web app. admin. and user interface
> ruled it out. (I prefer to avoid PHP apps if possible,  and last
time
> tried Fez it consistently crashed Sun's Web Server -- completely
> unacceptable on a test server, let alone in production.) Another
suite
> capable of scaling was CDS Invenio (a.k.a. CDSWare). Unfortunately
it
> is rather complex to compile, configure and maintain on Solaris so
is
> not currently an option. Unfortunately, all that is really left is
> DSpace, with its well known performance and scalability issues.
>
> Although these shortcomings have been raised many times on the
mailing
> lists I seen no evidence that they are being addressed with anything
> but lip service. The discouraging findings of this technical
> evaluation, I believe, still hold:
>
> a.) Technical Evaluation of Research Repositories (Richard Wyles
> - 2006-09-14 16:49)
> https://eduforge.org/docman/?group_id=131
>

> >From my own perspective, then, I see DSpace as nothing but a
> temporary
> solution until a good Java web app. is developed for Fedora. Another
> alternative, perhaps more likely in the short term, is Nuxeo's soon
> be released Java app. Nuxeo 5. I am already using their Zope based
CPS
> 4 for the front end of my site and very happy with it. Nuxeo claims
> that CPS 4 has been tested and approved with more than 3TB of live
> data
> (3 million documents). It is intended that version 5 will
effortlessly

--
MacKenzie Smith
Associate Director for Technology