Hi,

The problem with your scanning attempts is that you are just capturing
an image of the page. To have searchable content, you need to perform
optical character recognition on the images.

According to:
http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/acrcapture/

Then yes, this will create PDFs that contain searchable words - although
with all OCR solutions, there is the question of accuracy, and for that
you would need the opinion of someone with experience of using the
product.

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 12:55 +0200, Jennifer Ash wrote:
> Dear Community Members
>

> The Water Research Commission (WRC, South Africa) is currently
> assessing a pilot installation of DSpace.
>
> We want to use DSpace to store, search and retrieve all our WRC
> research reports and Water SA (a scientific publication, 4 issues pa)
> issues (this is the primary goal; other collections will most likely
> be added over time).
>
> We are faced with a problem in that most of our older publications are
> not in electronic format and will have to be scanned.
>
> Scanning and saving as PDF does not provide a full text searchable
> document in DSpace; I've tried it.
>

> A product, Adobe Capture, is advertised as a 'tool that teams with
> your scanner to convert volumes of paper documents into searchable
> Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files'.
>
> We are keen to investigate this product but there are no trial
> downloads offered by Adobe.
>
> Do you have any knowledge of this product? Can you advise on a
> suitable tehnology solution for our problem? Our backlog is vast and
> spans many years, so there are loads of documents that need to be
> scanned.
>

> I do hope someone can give me advice.
>

> Kind regards
>

> Jennifer Ash
> ……………………………………
> Business Systems Manager
> Water Research Commission
> Private Bag X03
> GEZINA (Pretoria)
> 0031
> Tel: (012) 330-9036 / 330-0340
> Fax: (012) 330-9010 / 331-2565
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> DISCLAIMER AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: All factual and other information
> within this e-mail, including any attachments relating to the official
> business of the Water Research Commission (WRC), is the property of
> the WRC. It is confidential, legally privileged and protected against
> unauthorized use. The WRC neither owns nor endorses any other content.
> Views and opinions are those of the senders unless clearly stated as
> being that of the WRC. The addressee in the e-mail is the intended
> recipient. Please notify the sender immediately if it has
> unintentionally reached you and do not read, disclose or use the
> content in any way whatsoever. The WRC cannot assure that the
> integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that it is
> free of errors, viruses, interception or interferences.

This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the
original intended recipient. BioMed Central Limited does not accept liability
for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly
made on behalf of BioMed Central Limited. No contracts may be concluded on
behalf of BioMed Central Limited by means of e-mail communication. BioMed
Central Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 3680030
Registered Office Middlesex House, 34-42 Cleveland Street, London W1T 4LB