Hello,

Am 30.07.2007 um 21:49 schrieb Mark H. Wood:

> We need to be careful as to what we mean by "data directory".  A
> typical PostgreSQL installation has a directory *named* "data" which
> *should* be backed up.  It contains configuration and access-control
> data, perhaps X.509 certificates to enable TLS-encrypted access, some
> small files used for restarting, and several directories that hold
> transaction logs and the like.

Sorry, you are right. I see these files as more less static or tend
to put them under version control as soon as I have to fiddle around
with them while changing my configs. I keep a system snapshot that I
would use as well when starting over and setting up a new machine,
so I have an initial version pg_hba.conf and associated files at hand.
As for the logfiles, these are the files that I mentioned for the
point in time strategy; they are rather bulky. So if you dont have a
system snapshot then "go with pg_dumpall and you are fine" is not the
whole truth. The pg_dumpall compensates for the fact that the files
in the base directory are normally useless because they are usually
opened while the snapshot is taken. Thanks for pointing that out.

Bye, Christian