Hello,

Am 31.07.2007 um 18:16 schrieb Hilmar Lapp:

> For those who haven't seen this:

> There's nothing I can add.

It is always a bad thing to be the advocate ones own behalf, but I cant
resist to do so in this case. Unhappily, the article presenting the
opposite view seems to have vanished from the web. At least I couldnt
find it in a quick search.

I wont go in every detail, because I could argue against every single
sentence in this post. It is extremly biased by an extreme kind of guy
who should never be allowed to make any decisions that have to do with
usability. Hear him talk, all what he has to tell is "elm can do it".
Well, I can do so too. I actually just do. Yes, and every decent MUA
has two different commands. The thing is, in 99.999% of all cases you
use hit reply and not reply-all, dont you? Do you ever think about
when doing? No, you actually wouldnt use such modernistic stuff like
email if you were still thinking about every decision you take within
a minute. Command-R is stored in your muscular memory.

Yes, email is a rather complicated thing one shouldnt tinker with.
But the page count of RFCs cant impress me. Yes, I read them regularly
too, when I try to solve a problem. At least, I can confirm that the
writer of the pamphlet is as knowledgeable to quote the right RFCs.

There is only one single technical argument given. Preexisiting reply-
to headers might be overriden. Yes. Who uses them? I did a quick search
through 2000 messages I archive locally and could not find a single
post using it. It might have been a means of organising your accounts
when they were expensive. I havent seen such since the times when
everybody has half a dozen of them, using syndication services for
free or managing all of them centralized with one client. But yes,
this might harm in some rare cases. Please speak up if I anybody
would be harmed.

The argument that it makes things more complicated and breaks elm
might be a hint that elm is actually the kind of brain-dead software
he is bashing. With *MY* personal favourite email client that every-
body in the world could use as well if he/she was such a wizard as
I am, it is really easy to reply to the sender, just point on it
and choose reply to sender from the contextual menu. Ok, I stop
rant-mode. I think it is quite clear what I meant with a biased
view in this post (I enjoy such thing, it gives me a chance to
counter it).

>> Some mailing lists have restricted posting privileges, with a
>> parallel
>> list devoted to discussions.

I made the difference with discussion lists vs. announcement list
which is roughly the same.

After having said all of the above, I can also tell, that I start
integrating the reply-all habit in my muscular memory and that it
is not a matter of live and die for me.

Bye, Christian