I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the limitations of the indexing and display features of DSpace. Our collection features a variety of content, some with dc.contributor.author, some with dc.contributor.editor, and so on. It is fairly essential that the "webui.itemlist.columns" dc.title, dc.contributor.* continue to be used, due to having these various dc.contributor.X's as creators. However, the ETD schema we are starting to employ uses dc.contributor as the field to capture thesis and dissertation advisors. In a non- flat hierarchy the dc.contributor.type field would be able to explain what a specific contributor did. This makes advisors show up in the itemlist where item creators are, which is both somewhat incorrect and confusing.

Now, you may say "why not just put dc.title, dc.contributor.author, dc.contributor.editor" as the webui.itemlist.columns? The issue there is that if you specify individual element like that, and that element is not found in the item, random dashes, empty fields, and line breaks occur.

I'd love to just be able to say "show me these fields, but don't put in wacky extra spaces and dashes if the field doesn't have data (or doesn't exist) in that item."

Maybe I'm missing an obvious solution. This is why I'm asking for any assistance. Thanks in advance!

Shane Beers
Digital Repository Services Librarian
George Mason University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]