Jose,

It's vaguely possible to run it using national character set columns
(NCHAR, NCLOB), to allow for a different character encoding (the ncs
columns could be UTF-8, whilst everything else remain Latin-1).

However, we've been down that route, and it involves some very nasty
customisations to the core DSpace classes that are quite hard to
maintain.

We have since switched to using a UTF-8 instance, and I would strongly
recommend anyone to do the same if it at all possible.

I realise you (like us), may have legacy issues that prevent the use of
UTF-8 for a shared database instance, but there are few reasons why you
couldn't have a separate instance specifically for DSpace setup as UTF-8
on the same hardware (at no additional cost).

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 12:12 +0200, Jose Luis Fernandez Perez wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Im having problems trying to use DSpace with a latin1 oracle database. I
> cannot use another charset due to production constrains. I know DSpace
> is prepared to be used in UTF8, but... Is there a workarround to such a
> case? Or, is there an easy way to intercept SQL queries and perform the
> charset conversion? I hope someone could help me.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jose Fernández
> UOC (Universitat Oberta de Catalunya).

This email has been scanned by Postini.