Hello, I have been trying to install DSpace on my Fedora Core 5 server
to use in a school project for the past several days.  I am able to
successfully build and install the package, but still cannot access
the web interface.  Here are the specifications for my project along
with the steps I have tried to get it working:

Fedora Core 5 (kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5, i386)
DSpace version 1.4.2
dspace.dir = /dspace  dspace.url = http://localhost:8080/dspace
dspace.hostname = localhost
Java version "1.6.0_03" Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-b05)
Tomcat 5 (installed from Redhat Package Manager/yum interface)
Apache 2.2 (installed from Redhat Package Manager/yum interface)
PostgreSQL 8.1.9

1 - Regular sequence of Postgres database creation is successful, "ant
fresh_install" build is successful, software installed at "/dspace".
2 - Tomcat and Apache are restarted
3 - visiting http://localhost:8080 with Firefox displays Apache Test Page
4 - visiting http://localhost:8080/dspace results in a 404 error: Not Found
5 - visiting http://localhost:8080/dspace/ results in a 503 error:
Service Temporarily Unavailable

I am positive that both Tomcat and Apache are running; port 8080 is
NOT firewalled.  The next step I tried was installing the mod_jk
connector using the directions at:
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/ModJk .  This did not resolve the
problem.  Should "ProxyRequests On" and "NameVirtualHost *:80" be
uncommented in Apache httpd.conf?  Also, do I need to define a <
location > in this file?  Does anyone have a working Apache
configuration file with changes made in respect to DSpace
installation?  I get the impression this might somehow be related to
the problem.  It looks as though Tomcat, although running, is not
serving DSpace.  Any help to get this functioning is greatly
appreciated!  Billy