Hi Mark,
> I've been saying for some time that, nice as the DSpace user interface
> is in many respects, it is not and should not be the only way to plumb
> a DSpace archive.  If it is (currently) difficult to get a particular
> search style put into DSpace, may I suggest trying a different
> approach.
>
> One could harvest metadata via the PMH responder, organize them any
> way one wishes, and search them in any desired way.

I can't resist pointing out that this is exactly what "DWell" does --
the faceted browsing
and search UI that is layered over DSpace via an OAI-PMH plugin for
RDFized metadata.
See http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Dwell or Richard Rodger's presentation on
same at
http://www.aepic.it/conf/viewpaper.php?id=212&print=1&cf=11

I think this is an excellent approach to building better DSpace UIs, and
just leaves us
with the problem of the underlying data rigidity, which I hope we can
address by relying
more on RDF or other rich metadata that is stored in the assetstore
alongside the content
files. The current DSpace metadata tables are great for managing
content, but suboptimal
for discovering what's in the repository (assuming we can get better
discovery metadata
from outside the system, somehow).

MacKenzie

--