Simply put, if you are using an Oracle database, it simply doesn't work
(usefully).

Every PreparedStatement that is cached will have an open Connection
attached to it, which can't be re-used by the pool.

If you want to use statement pools with Oracle, then you'll need to
rewrite the DatabaseManager to use Oracle's own implicit connection
cache instead of dbcp (which is kind of on my to do list).

- although, if you can ensure that the PreparedStatement cache can never
be larger than the connection pool, then you presumably should be ok.

I'm not sure of the exact behaviour of the Postgres driver as I haven't
had cause to look into it - but this is an issue to be aware of with Oracle.