Hi Kyle,

> Our dspace and handle server (kb.osu.edu) has been migrated to new hardware.
> It retains the same IP address and DNS name. Unfortunately after the IP switch
> our handle (1811) still resolves to the original machine. We have already
> changed the configuration settings in the main dspace config file. I believe
> that we have checked most of the other configuration files as well. Are there
> any other config files that anyone would suggest we take a look at? Has anyone
> run into a similar issue?

We have moved hardware too recently, and did the same as you - took the IP
address to the new machine.

I've had a look at your DSpace installation and it seems to be working now.

However, if you have trouble again in the future, you can always try out the
Handle System Proxy Server that will be running when you start the handle
system:

http://kb.osu.edu:8000/

This will help you interrogate your handle system. For example enter a valid
handle (1811/5859) and tick the 'Don't Redirect to URLs' box. You can then
see what the handle system thinks it should redirect to.

> Also a question about the handle system architecture... In our migration
> process, we planed to move the IP address from the old machine to the new one
> with the assumption that, in doing so, we would eliminate the need to make
> changes to the IP address we had on file with handle.net and the dns
> resolution of kb.osu.edu. Are handles resolved through IP address or domain
> name? I would think that IP would make more sense since the whole point of
> handles are to compensate for the possibility of non-stable domains names.

It is based on IP addresses for the reasons you describe.

Thanks,

Stuart

Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth                      Information Services
Prifysgol Aberystwyth                      Aberystwyth University

            E-bost / E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 Ffon / Tel: (01970) 622860