Hi Maike:

A few explanations to help unravel the enigma:
First, you should understand that there are two different licenses involved
here, not a choice of one. The first - the deposit license - is (roughly)
a licence that the depositor grants to the repository. It is not optional,
and does not display to users in the item display. For many institutions,
it is a legal requirement. It is a standard 'click-thru' license in the
sense that the grantor can only accept or reject it (as you note). The
license.default you mention contains this license text.
The second - CC license - is (roughly) a license
that an author grants to consumers of her work. It is entirely optional
(as you note with the cc-enable property), and *does* prominently display to
users in the item page. Here, the submitter *can* choose from a set of
licenses
that reflect the desire to control/share content.

What is confusing is that they both appear in the submission work-flow
(first CC, then deposit), and the the CC is a mini-workflow in itself
consisting if steps in an Iframe. Many have lamented the 'brittle'
Iframe, but it was the only programmatic access we had when it was first
offered. Now there are 'web'service' interfaces to CC that should probably
be adopted (volunteers welcome!).

Hope this helps,

Richard