I have a question for all the librarians and metadata experts out there,
with apologies in advance for my sketchy metadata knowledge.

One of our schools is providing us with files of citations to go along with
the items. These citations are in Bibtex format
Eg.

@Article{journals/aim/Sloman99,
  title =       "Review of Affective Computing",
  author =      "Aaron Sloman",
  journal =     "AI Magazine",
  year =        "1999",
  number =      "1",
  volume =      "20",
  url = "http://dblp.uni-trier.de/db/journals/aim/aim20.html#Sloman99";,
  pages =       "127--133",
}

I need to translate this into Dublin Core. In the case of a journal article
it appears that DC does easily allow for the description of the journal, as
opposed to the article. DC does allow for a 'bibliographicCitation' but it
is expected that it will be one field containing either a human readable
citation eg

Schrader, Alvin. "Internet Censorship: Issues for Teacher-Librarian."
Teacher Librarian 26, no.5 (1999): 5 pp

Or a machine readable equivelant, perhaps in OpenURL format.

See http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-citation-guidelines/ for a better
description.

So, if I want to translate and store 'journal = "AI Magazine"' from the
Bibtex file I would have to form a 'bibliographicCitation' with this as part
of it. If I ever wanted to reuse the constituent parts of the
bibliographicCitation I would need to deconstruct it. I would prefer to
store the discreet parts and present them as a styled citation when it suits
my purpose.

I have seen a number of DC schema utilising  dc.citation.xxx, but as far as
I am aware this is not 'approved' Dublin Core (see
http://dublincore.org/documents/2008/01/14/dcmi-terms).

Any suggestions as to how I can avoid going down the 'bibliographicCitation'
route would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and apologies for cross-posting.

Robin.