Hello,

Am 07.03.2008 um 16:49 schrieb LARC/J.L.Shipman/jshipman:

> We are running dspace 1.4.2, postgresql 8, solaris 10.
> Is UTF8 a necessity for dspace.  My understanding is
> that Sun's en_US.ISO8859-1 includes most of UTF8 except
> for the far east languages.  Any help is appreciated.

@nasa.gov: Working at an international site? I dont
know whether UTF-8 is strictly required everywhere
but ISO 8859-1 is not even sufficient for any european
language as it is missing the Euro sign e.g. (which
requires ISO 8859-15 at least).

What I do know is that everything is becoming better
everyday since we aim at being UTF-8 strictly and
only. We have lept into live service from a test
installation and had old ISO 8859 stuff in our site
for over a year. When I switched to a new server
in January I made sure that everything is UTF-8 from
now on. I mean everything including file names on
the system level. This is default in a current
Debian BTW. I still have some crap inside, in the
search index I found a glitch last week and in the
email templates too, but everywhere where I got rid
of the old stuff I am really happy about flawless
functionality and display.

Come on, ISO 8859 is from the last century. The time
is gone. UTF-8 is the way to go, no way to argue. You
are running a system made for long term preservation.

Bye, Christian