I don't understand why an "item rating system" would be "well-suited for
manakin" --- even though I'm wearing the Manakin T-Shirt today! ;)

I see "item rating" as a function of a recommender system (c.f. the work
by Minho or HPLabs) and thus deeper than interface...

Yes, the manner and style in which ratings are solicited and
recommendations presented to the user might be well-suited to manakin,
but the actual thing that is persisting individual ratings, compiling
them and presenting recommendations must surely be "deeper..."